1. An over-the-counter cough and cold preparations are not effective and they are not safe in children under 6 years old.
2. The following simple remedies can be very helpful:
- Humidifier for the bedroom
- Vick’s Rub – Apply to the feet and put on socks!
- Homemade Cough Syrup: 2-3 ounces of warm water or decaf tea mixed with one tablespoon of honey. Give one teaspoon of the mixture as needed. Honey has no side effects but is ONLY for children 12 months and older.
- Saline spray or rinse, or Neti Pot for the nose and sinuses
- Warm shower
3. Coughs that should be evaluated:
- Dry, repetitive, irritating
- Coughs with fever >101
- Coughs without nasal congestion
4. Your physician may recommend a prescription strength cough/cold medication if your child is over 3 years old – Use exactly as prescribed and do not combine with any other cough/cold products